I did a Makeup Collection: Year Ending 2013 post, and wanted to do another one for 2014 to see how much it changed. I'll try to do this every year :-) I also was tagged by Claire, From The Land Of Lorp to do the Makeup Addict tag...you can see her post and answers HERE...so thought I'd combine the 2 topics into one post since they overlap a bit.
Toward the end of the year 2014, I was a purging maniac! I should have done a mid-year makeup collection update, so you could see just how much I purged...because compared to last year's year ending makeup post it doesn't look like that much of a difference size-wise. But compared to what I accumulated during the year it certainly felt like I got rid of a lot! But after going back and reading my last makeup collection post, I did the same thing last year...accumulated a lot and purged a lot during the later part of the year. Hmmmm...I smell trend!!!
I've tossed the idea around of having a makeup library of sorts, you know...for blogging purposes so I can show comparisons in future posts. For this idea, I'd have the makeup I actually plan on wearing, and then a true collection where I keep everything else. Prior to moving, I didn't really have the space and nixed the idea pretty quickly anytime I'd think about it. But now that I actually have the room...well...tee hee...never say never!!!
Speaking of moving...I used to have my stash in THESE Rubbermaid Bento boxes I bought from Target, which in turn were housed in Ikea fabric bins that fit into the storage cubes/shelves that everyone has (check out the 2013 collection post for pics). For some reason having my stash in a smaller space made it seem like I had more. But now that everything is spread out and I can actually see it all...eeeeeesh...my stash is so small??!!?!! Anyway...here we go!!
***All items purchased by me, was a gift or gift/sample with purchase. Links are non affiliate or are to previous posts.
Here is where I keep my stash :-) Found this chest at T.J. Maxx and am totally in love with it!! It's super solid...one of those pieces that will be around for my grandchildren's children's children (um, ok that's if we were to have children in the first place ha ha!!)...and I love that it looks kinda rustic. My Husband had the great idea of finding some knobs or pulls to attach to the drawers - I love that idea and will hopefully find some in the near future.
Makeup is actually housed in the top 2 drawers, with the other drawers housing random things until I decide how I want things organized.
After looking online at different options, I was pretty specific on the types of dividers I was looking for: clear acrylic, low profile to fit into the drawers, squared off edges. I went to Target, Bed Bath and The Container Store, and finally found what I wanted at The Container Store. I ended up taking several makeup items into the store to make sure things would fit as I had envisioned. I started in the aisles with all the makeup organizers...after over an hour I gave up because nothing was exactly what I wanted. Then I roamed around to the other side of The Container Store and BAM found these!!! They were perfect, and ended up being a lot cheaper than the ones marketed for actual makeup storage ha ha!!
And yes...I still like to keep most things in boxes :-)
Things with an asterisk * are still the same from 2013.
Lip stuff, liners & primers:
- *2 Bite Beauty Line & Define Lip Primer (review HERE)
- *No Bleeding Lips Secret Lip Liner
- *MUFE Colorless Anti-Feathering Lip Pencil
- *Burberry Lip Definer in 07 Rosewood (review HERE)
- Burberry Lip Definer in 04 Bright Plum (review HERE)
- NARS Velvet Lip Liner in El Agua
- mini MUFE Aqua Lip Liner in 3c
Net difference from 2013: +1.5 (.5 is because the MUFE is a mini!)
Burberry Lip Glow in 24 Trench Kiss (review HERE)
Sisley Phyto Lip Gloss in 2 Beige Rose and 8 Pink
NARS mini Lip Gloss in Priscilla
Net difference from 2013: -4.5 glosses (since the NARS is a mini ha ha!!)
Lipstick, lip pencils, etc:
- *Burberry Lip Mist in 213 Field Rose (review HERE)
- *Burberry Lip Cover in 33 Oxblood (review HERE)
- *Armani Rouge d'Armani in 501 Pink
- NARS Audacious Lipsticks in Liv and Vivien (review HERE)
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Bettina (HERE), Dragon Girl, Damned (HERE), Cruella, Train Bleu (returned & purchased again!)
- Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in 93 Intime (review HERE)
- Tom Ford Lip color Matte in Plum Lush (review HERE)
- Tom Ford Lips & Boys in Alasdhair and Xavier (swatched HERE)
- YSL Rouge Volupte Shine in 2 Pourpre Intouchable (review HERE)
- Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick in Mulberry
- Bite Beauty mini Luminous Creme Lipstick in Bite for VIB Rouge
- Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Quince (HERE), Winterberry (Holiday mini) and Pomegranate (Holiday mini)
- Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon in Sucre, Glace (Holiday mini), Maraschino (Holiday mini)
Net difference from 2013: +5.5 (I didn't count the TF Lips & Boys or the Bite Beauty Holiday minis as real minis because they are larger than sample size)
- *Guerlain Wulong Compact w/ Voyage refill (still haven't finished it, I need to get on it!!) + backup of Wulong insert that I'm still saving
- Guerlain Meteorites Compact in 3 Medium (preordered in 2013 but didn't receive it until January 2014)
- Chanel Les Beiges in No. 20 (mini review HERE)
- Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Skin Perfecting Micro Powder in 2 Medium
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light Plus (review HERE)
Net difference from 2013: +2, counting preorders for the total since I would've had them if they were in stock
- mini Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder in 01 Highlight (HERE)
- Dolce & Gabbana The Illuminator Collector's Edition Glow Illuminating Powder (preordered in 2013 but actually received in January 2014)
Net difference from 2013: no change, counted preorder since I would've had them anyway if they were in stock
- *Rouge Bunny Rouge Bronzing Glow Powder in At Goldcombe Bay (review HERE)
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Palette (not sure what category to put this in, but 2 of the colors are more bronzers to me so here it goes)
Net difference from 2013: +2 (counting the palette at 2 items since the individual colors are smaller than the regular ones)
- *Tom Ford Cheek Color in 07 Narcissist
- Burberry Light Glow in *05 Blossom, *07 Earthy, *08 Misty (swatch HERE)
- Chanel Joues Contraste in *69 Fleur de Lotus, *84 Accent
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blush in *Gracilis, *Delicata (review HERE)
- *NARS Blush in Douceur
- *NARS Cream Blush in Penny Lane
- Armani Cheek Fabric in 02 Skin, 503 Daybreak, 507 Flesh
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light (mentioned HERE)
Net difference from 2013: +1
- *Sayuki Custom Foundation (review HERE) - I actually finished this, but have a hair left in a decanted bottle that I'm saving for foundation swatch references...however, I'm not counting this toward the total.
- *Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in 2.5 Warm Sand - I don't wear this anymore, only keeping for foundation swatch references
- Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick in 03 Fawn (HERE)
- Tom Ford Traceless Perfecting Foundation in 03 Fawn (HERE)
- Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder in 03 Fair (HERE)
- Armani Luminous Silk in 3.5 & 4
Net difference from 2013: +3
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in SC-3
- Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher in 02 Fair
- Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light Bisque
Net difference from 2013: +1
- Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer
Net difference from 2013: -1
- Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in *05 Silvered Topaz (review HERE), *13 Orchid Haze (review HERE), 03 Nude Dip (HERE)
- *Guerlain Ecrin 4 Couleurs in 06 Les Fumes
- Suqqu Blend Color Eyeshadow in 11 Himesango
- Kevyn Aucoin The Eye Shadow Duo in 206 (HERE)
Net difference from 2013: -3
Single shadows aka deports:
- *Kevyn Aucoin The Eye Shadow Single in 101 Bone
- *MAC Satin Eye Shadow in Shale
- *Sephora Colorful in 44 Romantic Comedy
- Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow in *01 Pearl White, *03 Porcelain (swatch HERE), *04 Gold Trench (swatch HERE), *09 Rosewood (swatch HERE), *19 Midnight Plum, *21 Midnight Brown (swatch HERE), *22 Pale Barley, *24 Mulberry (swatch HERE), 27 Storm Grey (HERE)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge in *Unforgettable Oriole, *Abyssinian Catbird, *Delicate Hummingbird, *Solstice Halcyon, *Bohemian Waxing, *Eclipse Eagle (all reviewed HERE)
- Le Metier de Beaute in *Water Sapphire, Tamarack*, *Thunder, *Clay, *Canvas, *Sugar
Net difference from 2013: -11
Net difference from 2013: -6
Net difference from 2013: -2
- *Tom Ford Eye Defining Pencil in Espresso (review HERE)
- Marc Jacobs Gel Crayon in Th(ink)
- Marc Jacobs mini Gel Crayon in Brown(out)
- Armani Waterproof Smooth Silk Eye Pencil in 2
Net difference from 2013: +.5
Kevyn Aucoin The Precision Brow Pencil in Brunette (HERE)
Net difference from 2013: -1
- VMV Hypoallergenics Ooh-La-Lash Volumizing Mascara in black
Net difference from 2013: +1
Total product difference from 2013 to 2014: -11
Mostly this difference was due to the purging of shadow type products...no more cream or stick shadows for me for awhile. You can read more about my shadow story HERE. And there are a few random samples that I didn't include, but I think they are negligible.
...and what about that Makeup Addict Tag?!!!
1. Which products do you still keep buying more of despite having plenty of in your collection?
A: Lipstick! I feel I'm not so into gloss anymore, but I'm definitely loving lipsticks!! While I know I can't possibly use all of them up in the near future, my aim is to have a good color selection to choose from no matter what mood strikes! I want to be prepared!!
2. What's the one product you can't live without?
A: Blush. Feel like it just picks my mood (and face!) right up.
3. Favorite makeup brand?
A: Toss up between Armani and Tom Ford.
4. How big is your makeup collection?
A: See above :-)
5. And how do you store it?
A: See above...
6. How many items of makeup have you got in your handbag at the moment?
A: None!! I took them all out to put back into my drawers for this post LOL!!
7. If you could raid another blogger's stash, who would it be?
A: Bronzer Bunny's!! See her post, HERE!! And not just because she said me ha ha! We've known each other for awhile now, and while I feel like I know what she has since we've met...I feel like there's so much more I don't know about previous to those first fateful tweets!! We have similar shopping habits, so I'd love to know what else she has in her stash :-)
I would also love to raid Sara @ Color Me Loud's stash!! She seems to get all the LE's and Asian and European exclusives...I'm frothing already just at the thought of peeking into her Heaven of a collection!!
8. How long does your usual makeup routine take and how many products do you use?
A: Comfortably, I like to take at least 15 minutes. I just don't like to be rushed! Minimal routine: foundation, powder, blush & something on the lips - 4 products. For work I add some kind of shadow and brow pencil for total of 6 products.
9. Have you ever bought makeup knowing you wouldn't use it?
A: Sort of. The Chanel Dentelle highlighter I really wanted and thought there was a minuscule chance I'd use it, though really in the back of my head I knew I probably wouldn't.
10. Tag a few other makeup addicts!!
For anyone wondering just what the heck is in that shadow box in the first pic...
It's the outfit I arrived from Korea in when my mom first picked me up at the airport...along with a couple of pictures from the orphanage, Korean name and arrival date at the bottom :-) My mom surprised me with it awhile ago, and it's one of the things I cherish most...it reminds me of her...reminds me of where I came from...and reminds me of how lucky I am that she picked me. I love you, mom!!!!! xoxoxoxo