2013 was quite the year of makeup!! It was a journey of seeking out preferred textures, formulas and colors. It was also a year for expanding my quite teeny stash into an actual collection of product that I not only loved and was happy to have, but also was pretty to look at. Previous to 2013, all the makeup I owned fit into a container about 1/2 the size of a shoe box!
What else happened in 2013?? I purged. A LOT. As things came in, lots of things found their way out - trash bin, given away, blog sale. Especially toward the latter 1/2 of the year I was very focused on maintaining a manageable stash by only keeping product I loved. Remember the #LoveItOrTossIt series? That was part of the idea Bronzer Bunny and I had - to help decide what we loved and what we didn't. I hope to continue this series into 2014, and hope anyone that wants to join will do so!
To recap the year, thought I would share what made it into my collection by the last day of 2013. There are a number of things that haven't been used/photographed/reviewed yet, but thought I'd mention them anyway. What's the purpose of all this???
1. I'm nosey and would love to see what everyone else has in their collection!! So anyone else up for a similar post?!!! Please?!!!
2. I'm comfortable with the size of my stash now…it seems pretty tidy and manageable. And while there are a few things I'm looking for here and there, overall I'd l don't want to see the collection grow too much larger. This is a way to document how well that goes over ha ha!!
3. I hope to make this a yearly event, and I think it would be interesting to see how my collection morphs and changes…it'll be a study to see how my preferences and tastes differ from year to year.
This isn't super pic heavy, as I opted to take pics of the whole lot and listed each item by category. Also…yes…I'm OCD and have almost everything its original box!!! With my current storage system it's just easier to organize and to read what each product and color is. Okay, plus I just like the way boxes look. And while not every item is an absolute love (hey, some things are hard to let go of!!)…I'm working on it :-)
***All items purchased by me, was a GWP or was a gift. Links are non-affiliate.***
First up…storage!!! Much as I would love it, there's no room in our small space for a vanity. As it is, Mr. Gummy and I have to be really creative with storage. All my makeup is kept in an Ikea fabric storage bin, which of course is in Ikea shelving! Within the bin I use these Rubbermaid Bento organizers - found them at Target (HERE). They come in various sizes, but I only use the 2 smaller ones. As of this writing they are on sale.
Why do I like these so much? Each box has fabric corners that pop out at will!! Makes it so easy to change things up whenever you want…you can have no separate corners, only 1 corner…or multiples!
Here's the Ikea fabric storage bin. The larger Bento box is about the size of a shoe box. The one here has another of the same size stacked underneath. The 2 containers at the very top are small Sephora bags with the handles taken off - one holds minis and backups of a couple of items, the other holds foundation and concealer.
Here are all the containers outside of the fabric bin. Only thing not pictured: Kevyn Aucoin Eye Kit - lash curler, brow pencil, liner, mascara and shadow. I haven't taken proper pics of it yet and didn't want to take it apart just for the sake of this post…you'll see it later though!!
Items with an * are still new and have not been used or tested yet. The minis and lip balm are not listed.
- Sayuki Custom Foundation (review HERE)
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in 2.5 Warm Sand
- Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick in 2.5 Warm Sand (Warm Sand is actually a tad dark at the moment, so I'm only using the foundation stick to cover spots - hopefully I'll be able to use the Skin Foundation this Summer)
- Suqqu Nuancing Loose Powder Natural (review HERE)
- Guerlain Wulong Compact w/ Voyage refill
- Guerlain Meteorites Compact in 01 Tient Rose (discontinued)
- Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Powder in Candlelight (review HERE)
- Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Highlighting Powder in 02 Golden Radiance (review HERE)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Bronzing Glow Powder in At Goldcombe Bay (review HERE)
- Tom Ford Cheek Color in 07 Narcissist
- Burberry Light Glow in 02 Cameo*, 03 Rose*, 05 Blossom*, 07 Earthy, 08 Misty (swatch HERE)
- Chanel Joues Contraste in 69 Fleur de Lotus, 84 Accent
- Kevyn Aucoin The Pure Powder Glow in Dolline*
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blush in Gracilis, Delicata (review HERE)
- NARS Blush in Douceur
- NARS Cream Blush in Penny Lane
- NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- Tom Ford Eye Primer Duo (review HERE)
- Burberry Complete Eye Palette in 07 Pink Taupe (swatched HERE)
- Chanel Les 4 Ombres in 39 Raffinement (review HERE)
- Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in 05 Silvered Topaz (review HERE), 13 Orchid Haze (review HERE)
- Tom Ford Ombre Eye Color in 02 She Wolf (review HERE)
- Guerlain Ecrin 4 Couleurs in 06 Les Fumes
- Suqqu Blend Color Eyeshadow in EX-11 Sumiredama (review HERE)
Shu Uemura Custom Palette with P Light Beige 812 Pearl Neutral Beige, ME Medium Brown 862 Metallic Bronze, P Dark Brown 861 Pearl Earth Brown, M Dark Brown 896 Matte Brown (review HERE)
MAC Smoke and Mirrors Eye Shadows
- Kevyn Aucoin The Eye Shadow Single in 101 Bone
- MAC Satin Eye Shadow in Shale
- Sephora Colorful in 44 Romantic Comedy, 68 Satin Corset
- Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow in 01 Pearl White, 03 Porcelain (swatch HERE), 04 Gold Trench (swatch HERE), 06 Almond*, 08 Khaki*, 09 Rosewood (swatch HERE), 19 Midnight Plum*, 21 Midnight Brown (swatch HERE), 22 Pale Barley*, 24 Mulberry (swatch HERE)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge in Unforgettable Oriole, Abyssinian Catbird, Delicate Hummingbird, Volcano Fairy-Wren, Solstice Halcyon, Blackpepper Jay, Bohemian Waxing, Trumpeter Koel, Bashful Flamingo, Eclipse Eagle (all reviewed HERE)
- Le Metier de Beaute in Jojo*, Water Sapphire*, Tamarack*, Thunder*, Clay*, Tuscan Sunset*, Fire Lily*, Canvas*, Sequoia*, Platinum*, Sugar*
- Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Birthday Suit
- Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in 92 Diapason*
- By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Bronze Moon (review HERE), Black Pearl (review HERE)
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Rosegold, Plum, Khaki (review HERE)
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Bark
- Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Stingray
- Tom Ford Eye Defining Pencil in Espresso (review HERE)
- Tom Ford Eye Defining Pen in 01 Deeper
- MUFE Eyebrow Pencil in 05
- Guerlain Eyebrow Kit in 00 Universel
Lip Primer & Liner
- Bite Beauty Line and Define Lip Primer (review HERE)
- No Bleeding Lips Secret Lip Liner
- MUFE Colorless Anti-Feathering Lip Pencil
- Burberry Lip Definer in 07 Rosewood (review HERE)
- Chanel Glossimer in 164 Plaisir
- Chantecaille Luminous Gloss in Framboise, Pink Melon (review HERE)
- Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Lip Gloss in Sheer Berry (review HERE)
- Stila Lip Glaze in 08 Apricot
- Bite Beauty Lush Fruit Lip Gloss in Rambutan (review HERE)
- Burberry Lip Glow in 01 Rosewood (review HERE), 24 Trench Kiss (review HERE)
- Burberry Lip Mist in 202 Copper, 213 Field Rose (review HERE)
- Burberry Lip Cover in 33 Oxblood (review HERE)
- Guerlain Rouge G L'Extrait in M69 Orgueil
- Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Lip Colour in Plum Orchid
- Suqqu Creamy Glow Lipstick in 03 Tsuyazakura, 08 Keshiaka, 12 Hiwada (review HERE)
- Shiseido Shimmering Rouge in RD709
- Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Lipstick in PK04 (review HERE)
- Armani Rouge d'Armani in 501 Pink
- Chanel Rouge Coco in 42 Culte, 43 Avant-Garde (review HERE)
- Bite Beauty Creme Lipstick in a custom color (review HERE)
- Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Vivid Violet
- NARS in Afghan Red, Damage
- Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow in 22 Pale Barley
- Guerlain Wulong Compact Refill (these were never available for sale as an individual refill…I was fortunate to buy one from a lovely reader - THANK YOU!!!)
- Bite Beauty Line and Define Lip Primer - this actually is just a second one…I keep one in my regular makeup bag and another in the little makeup bag I use for my purse.
Admittedly the Le Metier shadows and a few of the Burberry ones were panic buys late last year. Saks had the LMdB shadow at 50% off, and the Burberry shadows were ones that had been OOS forever and had just come back in stock. So I'm not sure how all those will turn out??
I'm kind of at a crossroads with shadow. Unless I'm testing something out, it's very rare that I wear more than a single wash of shadow. My goal at large for 2013 was to test out textures and formulas, and a side goal was to build up a large enough collection to have some variety for different looks. Now I have all these shadows that I never think about and that never see the light of day. What good is having something, even if you love it, if you never wear it?
Did you notice I didn't list a single mascara, except for the Kevyn Aucoin one that is in the Eye Kit not pictured?? That's because over the past many months I've kinda given up on mascara. 1/2-3/4 of my lashes get hidden and crushed by the weight of my monolid, so any curl doesn't really stand a chance. Blinc was the only one I found that didn't smudge, but it didn't hold my curl nor did I really notice a difference when I wore it. I finally said why bother. That was until I found the KA Eye Kit and saw the included mascara was a tubing one (Blinc is tubing)…also hoping the included curler + mascara will be magic and lengthen and curl my lashes like no other! Maybe?!!
For 2014 I've made some makeup purchases…the new Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme Foundation (Sayuki is running out and the BB is too dark so I need to find something quick like), and some Japonesque items (a liner, a blush, the pressed powder, lipstick, shadow single - whooooops another shadow LOL!)…
Does my collection surprise you at all, or is it what you expected?
Did your makeup collection change much in 2013?!!