While I love beauty and could talk skincare and makeup for hours upon hours...oh and more hours(!!)...this has been a frustrating year for me. My skin has been so crazy reactive and it's been very difficult finding products that my skin can tolerate. I'll be 38 soon so perhaps it's age? My skin changed about 5 years ago, so maybe it's going through that process again...sigh. Good news is that I've been keeping an on-again-off-again journal, and now have a running list of ingredients I try to avoid :-)
All that to say why my 2012 Favorites list is so short compared to many others!! All are products I discovered in 2012, with the exception of one skincare item. It's one I discovered in late 2011, but didn't start using it much until 2012. On with the show...
Skincare Favorites of 2012
1. Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser - Holy Grail cleanser...I don't think I've loved a cleanser this much. Ever. Review here.
2. Skin Beautiful 15% Mandelic-Lactic Acid Exfoliator - this is the one product I actually discovered in late 2011 but didn't really start using until 2012. This helps with so many issues, and I feel as though it's a mini reset button for my skin. Review here.
3. Murad Acne Spot Treatment - I haven't reviewed it yet (oops! I'm waaay behind on reviews!), but absolutely love it and finished my first tube this month. It's got sulphur, licorice root, zinc, salicylic acid and glycolic acid...all to power up and get rid of spots. Fantastic stuff!
4. Baby washcloth - Not reviewed, but it's quickly become a favorite since I started using it about a month ago. It's soft, doesn't irritate my face, gently but effectively removes flakey skin and residual makeup and is super economical. One of my top 3 physical exfoliation methods along with ExfoliKate and Tatcha Classic Rice Enzyme Powder.
5. Rodin Olio Lusso Lip Balm - I just posted a review! See it here! Told you I was smitten :-)
Makeup Favorites of 2012
1. Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Powder in Candlelight - Mini reviewed here. I didn't say much, but the little I did say is absolutely true...it really is like candlelight and it does make any foundation I wear have a beautiful finish!
2. Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Natural Lighting Powder - Not reviewed yet (told you I am behind! Ha ha), nonetheless I adore this powder and will be repurchasing. It gives the most fantastic finish even on days I don't wear foundation...natural and soft, almost glowy. I recently bought the Guerlain Meteorites and I don't think they are as good as the Koh Gen Do. Blasphemous statement, I'm sure...please don't hate me! LOL!
3. Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush in Misty - Swatched here. My favorite had been Illamasqua's Naked Rose until I started wearing this. I've pretty much been wearing this nonstop for about 3 weeks and am more than comfortable in saying this is my favorite blush. EVER. Favorite color, favorite texture, favorite everything. And I love the smell :-) You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be getting more Burberry blushes, and can't wait to see what the Spring Collection holds!!
4. NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base - Another new December discovery, but it's already amazing! As good as everyone says it is, and I feel like it's opened up a whole new world of eye looks...watch out! Ha ha :-)
5. Chanel Rouge Coco in Culte - Swatched here. Though I don't wear it as often anymore, it's still my hands down favorite lip color for the year. It's not too bright, not too muted...just right to make me feel polished, pretty and put together!
Yay for 2012!!! :-)
p.s. I've been loving reading everyone's 2012 Favorites...so keep 'em coming!!